Friday, January 7, 2011

What is my research about?

I hope to explore the successful dramatic techniques an ESL teacher uses in the classroom to effective engage their students. And I don't mean just interest them. I am talking about aesthetic engagement. That moment where the student truly connects with what they are learning. They are engaged, connected and emotive towards the subject and content matter. Students and teachers switch off in class, don't participate and therefore don't learn in classes because they are not engaged in the learning. I believe drama promotes collaboration and aesthetic experiences in the classroom and therefore promotes learning.

What I want to develop is a master tool kit for teachers who want to use drama to engage their students. I will develop this toolkit from analysing master practitioners and determining what teacher behaviours are conducive the aesthetic experience. What do teachers do or say that engages their students? What techniques can we adopt as teachers that connect us to our students and helps them connect to the subject matter. More simply - how do we make our classes more fun and appropriate for Gen Y?

No comments:

Post a Comment